Behind the scenes Outlander shots: Preston Mill’s close up!
Here at NTSUSA, we have managed to get our hands on some exclusive never before seen photos taken over the course of the 10 day filming period at Preston Mill!
We’ve already told you all of the filming secrets and tales, so, as our last blog post on the subject, we thought it would only be fair to share a few special photographs with the dedicated Outlander fans who have enjoyed our two previous posts!
Becoming Lallybroch: Preston Mill’s Outlander makeover
A Phantassie setting: Preston Mill and its Outlander fame
Step back in time with us, to June 2014, to the fictitious happenings of 270 years ago…
- 1. As seen in the above photos, the NTS property was completely taken over by the production! We have it on good authority that the already small parking lot became even more of a squeeze than usual with all of Outlander’s trailers, rental vehicles and equipment!
- 2. The set designers get to work transforming the surroundings of the Mill! Here they can be seen hard at work, erasing any evidence of 21st century life, by covering up tell-tale signs with tactically placed trees and props!
- 3. Even fences and posts were temporarily removed! On the right, the crew receive directions on how to take Preston Mill back in time.
- 4. The mill’s wheels were no exception; flour is dusted on the interior wheel, while the set designers get the outer wheel ready for its close up! It appears that one member of the crew even lost his head during the process (above right)!
- 5. Lights, camera, action! A meeting of old and new: extra lights are added to the roof of the mill.
- 6. The novice Redcoat riders receive a lesson or two on horseback before the filming begins…
- 7. Actor Sam Heughan discussing his next shot – perhaps he is expressing his apprehension at having to jump in the freezing water?!
- 8. Stars Caitriona Balfe and Laura Donnelly (Claire and Jenny) prepare for their next scene.
- 9. The inner exhibition room appears as an ante-room for the preliminary witchcraft hearing – the second scene filmed at Preston Mill.
For more filming tales and to learn more about Preston Mill, take a look at the other two posts in our Outlander blog series: A Phantassie setting: Preston Mill and its Outlander fame and Becoming Lallybroch: Preston Mill’s Outlander makeover.
Preston Mill is listed as one of the NTSUSA’s Priority Projects 2015-2016.
On screen, Jamie – with the aid of an ex-miller Redcoat – was able to fix the Mill.
Sadly this was only fictional; in reality the Mill is in need of essential repairs!
Funds are currently sought to make urgent repairs to the weir – the apparatus which controls the flow of water to the Mill. Left in its present poor operating condition, the continual breach of water will be detrimental to the functioning of the Mill, causing erosion to its base, many 17th century building materials, and the river bank itself. But with your help…we can turn this situation around.
To preserve this special NTS property and maintain its high-quality visitor experience for travelers from all over the world – both today and for the future, we must act now! Consider donating to this property today, and help us to spread this important message by sharing this blog with your friends.
Make a Gift to Support the Mill
By: Olivia Ancell